New in the photography world

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
pizzalover
OP pizzalover New Member • Posts: 9
Re: New in the photography world

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

pizzalover wrote:

I am new here so all i need is to give me your opinion on my very first photos

First, there's the question of general style. Both of these pictures have relatively unsaturated colours and a lot of solid black. I personally dislike that style but if you do that's fine.

Looking at them in detail, I'll comment on them as I see them. Don't be discouraged - beginners' work always shows room for improvement but you can't improve without seeing where things can be done better.

In the first shot it would be better to move slightly to the right to avoid cutting the lower window off. I'm not sure that the subject is really worth the effort - I have quite a few similar photos that I've taken over the years because a tower caught my eye but in retrospect none of them moves me. It's a god exercise in dealing with awkward perspective, though.

In the second the large amount of black means that there's not really very much to look at. The top quarter is wasted space. It's not clear what it's a photo of - yes, obviously the sun through the trees but then why include so much "nothingness"?

It would have been better shot in landscape (horizontal) format to show more of the shadows spreading outwards at the sides of the frame.

-- hide signature --

MAKIS

Thank you very much for replying!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow