Torn between Nikon F and Sony E/EF

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeQuestionable New Member • Posts: 4
Torn between Nikon F and Sony E/EF

Hello,

I'm currently sitting in APS-C world (Nikon d5100 and Sony A6000), generally leaning towards Sony E. Right now, I'm considering getting some primes, mainly Sigma's 16/30/56 1.4 trio (with modern APS-C body like 6400/6500/6600) and keeping Nikon D5100 only for hosting FF telephoto lens.

Last time, prices of older FF equipment from Sony and Nikon are very affordable, so I'm considering Sony's A7 Mk II, and Nikon D750 (new), D610 (used), and 35/50/85 FF primes (used) for portraiture.

Could you tell me few words about AF performance in more demanding light conditions ("blue" hour outside, darker rooms with small sources of light like candles or spotlights)  of mentioned cameras?

Let's keep aside ergonomics (e.g. I'm OK with one wheel setup), color rendition, speed of shutter. I'm hobbits, not professional and definitely piker

Sony A7 II: I've seen opinion that AF is on level of A6000 or slightly better - is this legit statement? And how it performs compared to D610 ?

Sony A6400: how it's AF is performing versus A7 II and versus Nikon D610?

For now, I think:

Nikon D750 is 'no brainer' but disadvantage of this approach is that I'll spend my savings on camera which will be used for special occasion, not on daily basis (key disadvantage: weight and size).

Nikon Z makes no sense at all: my Tamron tele is not compatible with FTZ.

Sony A7 III, which is also 'no brainer', is outside of my budget, and it's weight, and size with proper lenses is not far from Nikon's D610 or D750. Also cost of lenses is significantly bigger than Nikon's F.

Thank you in advance for hints.

Best regards

Mike

MikeQuestionable's gear list:MikeQuestionable's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Nikon D5100 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Sony a6000 Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow