Camera club talk - moving from DSLR to MILC

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,876
Camera club talk - moving from DSLR to MILC

I am due to give a camera club "technology" talk in a month's time and I want to include a section on the options for DSLR users to move to mirrorless.  One of the options, especially for Canon owners, is to move to Sony, FujiFilm or L mount and use their existing lenses with an adapter.

I have posted on the Sony FE forum and have found that most Canon DSLR owners have finished up selling their Canon lenses and buying Sony native lenses.  I would like some further input from this forum before deciding what to say.  I have a lot of other things to say in the talk, so I want to keep the section on adapted lenses quite short and simple.

I have set out what I am thinking of saying below and would be grateful for any corrections, criticism and different opinions.

Pentax - no adapters for AF lenses and unlikely to be any.  No choice but to change entirely to a new system.

Nikon - apart from Nikon Z mount, no adapters that allow AF (???).  Move to Z mount or change systems entirely.

Canon

• Canon R mount adapters work very well, possibly better than DSLR focusing.
  • Third party adapters for other mounts can give good AF, including continuous AF, but performance is variable.  Adapters can be very expensive (Metabones).
  • Probably worth considering adapted lenses for single shot or manual focusing, e.g. landscapes, but move to native lenses for sports/action.
  • Moving to R mount is the obvious solution for those owners who FF.  
  • APS-C DSLR users who don't want to move to FF and don't like EOS M have difficult decisions to make (and maybe Nikon D500 owners as well).

Thanks in advance for any input.
--
Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow