Bull riding leads to a new (old) lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jon Donahue New Member • Posts: 6
Bull riding leads to a new (old) lens

Warm dark evening in Tombstone, Arizona Territory. Jam-packed crowd at our new Shoot Out Arena. 30 prize bulls, 30 top riders. And I'm down by the fence with my old Pentax K-5 IIs and a 35mm prime f2.4 lens. Not much light from the few floods. Realizing that actually I need f/4 for reasonable depth of field, at least 1/200 to freeze motion, sort of, put it on TAv and the first bull charged out of the chute and off we went.

Got a few good pictures. Later, found myself remembering a beloved lens I had years ago, until I dropped it one day, a Pentax f/4 16-45 zoom. Fixed f/4, aperture doesn't change as you zoom out. Ordered another from Amazon, and next time we have a night event, I'll be able to zoom in closer and have to crop less later in Lightroom. Daylight? My old 18-135 works fine, I can keep the aperture at f/8 and have plenty of shutter speed for anything.

One last note. There is a great joy using my old SLR instead of an iPhone. Ergonomics -- that long word that means how good it feels to use. To be a photographer! Hope the pictures below give you an idea of how tough this sport is. The riders get a few dollars, but really, really want to take home a winner's engraved belt buckle. Means a lot in these parts, means a lot more, even, than a new Ram pickup truck or a date with our local beauty queen.

Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow