Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Master619
Master619 Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

canonfan1 wrote:

Thanks for advising!

Master619 wrote:

Would like to know your budget also.

I am fortunate to be flexible with my budget. However of course, I will want to be prudent.

The R6 is likely a must.

Why do you say this?

Better in every way (maybe except MP count). Better AF, low light, IBIS, 2 card slots, better battery (even with LP-E6N), newer (more future-proof),...

If you can get 2 lenses, get the 24-70 and the 85 1.2. They will serve all your purposes well, the 24-70 is no macro but for hobby-ish food photography it would usually be more than enough, not to mention you can crop in a bit more in post. 24mm is fantastic for landscapes. The 85 will handle both your portrait and dog needs. 70-200 can be upgraded to / bought later when you can, it has much better range that would be nice at events or capturing your dog from real far, but I don't see the immediate benefits.

If you can only get one, competition boils down to the 85 f2

Did you mean the 85 f1.2 or 85 f2? I am not sure as you mentioned 1.2 in the previous paragraph but 2 over here.

I meant the f1.2 for the "2 lenses" section (above paragraph) and f2 for the "1 lens" section below.

or 24-70. I personally would take the 24-70 here, as you get a bit less macro range but very useful 24mm view. Portraits at 70mm is not too bad compared to 85mm.

At f2.8, is the 24-70 really sufficient for portrait? My understanding is one wants 1.2 to 2.0 for bokeh?

f2.8 is not "the best", but hey, if you're getting 1 lens for all the work, you need to accept compromises. f2.8 still produces beautiful portraits with blurred background bokeh just fine. See below for portraits at 70mm f2.8 (images around the internet, not mine):

Master619's gear list:Master619's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow