Foggy Duck in Flight, XT-3 Firmware V 4.00

Started 4 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,730
Foggy Duck in Flight, XT-3 Firmware V 4.00

This morning I drove to Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge planning to see what V 4.0 has done for BIF. As I crossed the Terminal Moraine from the North Shore of Long Island to the South I found my self driving in dense fog and rain. I finished my drive and when I got out of the car in the refuge parking lot I realized this was not going to be a good test. I got back in my car and drove to Oakland Lake which is on the South Shore and the fog was much lighter and only a light mist was coming down. My odds of flights are much lower at this location yet there are always a few so I started walking around the lake and taking portraits. About 1/4 of the way around the lake I heard a duck take off and I planted my tripod picked up the duck and let a burst go.

Focus was fast and accrete using my Sigma 150-600 C with Fringer Pro II adapter. This was a nice change for a very distant bird with a busy background. Tracking started and then it hunted and snapped back into focus. That alone was a nice change. Another improvement I noticed was that the camera can now handle a close subject with the focus set at infinity and the subject is so blurred out that it disappears. The camera used to do noting, it now focus in till it finds the subject and then focus properly. These are first impressions as I need more time yet I'm happy with the first outing in less than ideal conditions.

I'm posting two images from the burst. These are both taken as the duck was getting closer. The first is cropped form about 1/2 the frame and the second cropped a little to level and adjust composition.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow