New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

canonfan1 wrote:

I have recently decided to take the plunge and invest in some Canon EOS R gear. Currently, I don't have any, thus will be starting with a blank slate. I have done a lot of reading over the years and while a fan, have not previously owned any Canon gear. Apologies in advance if any of my questions reek of ignorance. I hope to learn as much as I can from the experts on this forum!

I am a serious hobby photographer but do not do this for a living. There are mainly four genres I am interesting in shooting: (1) people/portraits/family, (2) my dog, (3) food, (4) nature landscapes.

Given these interests, you may want to consider the R.   30 mp is a nice increase over the 20 of the R6 for landscapes and the R has better DR than the RP.  It’s a great value right now.  If you’re doing fast action the R6 is better

I hope to take or at least eventually take professional-leve quality photographs in all 4 genres. If it matters, for context, I am also considering going down the social media path.

Originally, I was thinking of going with this combination: RP body, RF 85mm f/2. I believe this provides good value for money.

yes it does

After reading and watching a whole bunch of reviews, I am toying with the idea of getting one or some of these: R6 body, RF 24-70mm F2.8, RF 70-200mm F2.8, RF 85mm 1.2.

Holy budget jump Batman!  What is your budget?  This is like 10x as much

Reasons for considering R6 body: Saw a few reviews mentioning poor AF on RP.

It’s not poor.  It’s not quite at the R6 level though

Lack of IBIS and weather-sealing on RP though not sure how important these are.

depends on the lenses you’re using and your uses.

Reason for considering RF 85mm 1.2: creamier bokeh than f/2, biggest downside to me is longer focusing distance which might make food photograph more challenging in a restaurant setting?

the close focus of the f2 would be a nice addition for this use

Reason for considering RF 24-70mm: could pair well with a 85mm prime?

you could also consider a 24-105L for more range at a much lower price

Reason for considering 70-200mm: could get this instead of a 85mm prime?

I prefer an 85mm prime myself but others disagree

Given my needs and thought process, what body/lens combination(s) would you folks here recommend? If you have any insights on some of the thoughts I have above, that will be very helpful too. Thank you everyone!

I would consider an EOS R with a 24-105L and maybe the 85mm f2 macro and then consider an ultra wide. I would actually consider a used EF 16-35mm f4L at this point.  Great lens

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow