M6 Mark II interface cable Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Ignored1 New Member • Posts: 8
M6 Mark II interface cable

I wondered if there is any adverse effect of using a non canon cable with a M6 Mark II for interface. I have tried to find the IFC-100 interface cable listed with the camera on the Canon site, but Canon don't have any stock. All other outlets etc are awaiting stock.

This leaves me to find a safe alternative. I am also surprised that Canon don't list alternatives in compatibility tables. It has been impossible to find any consensus on this and I wasn't expecting something like getting a simple cable to take so long and be this time consuming.

However, if alternatives do exist what are there and what are the pros and cons.

The pros would presumably be a low cost in the short term.

Main cons or concerns: I would be worried about sticking anything into a £800 camera without it being sanctioned by the manufacturer first though. Would it void the warranty I wonder if something went wrong.

An added layer of concern is the adapters one has to use in order to plug into a Mac or PC etc. With a Canon product, I would assume that the cable would mirror the quality and configuration of the camera port exactly. The only worry then would be the adapter. If using a Mac Book, I could then rely on the Apple brand to cover me from unforeseeable dangers and mishaps. But with an unbranded cable, it adds an extra layer or uncertainty. Is, for example, the cable completely doing what it should, performing to its optimum.

The fact that these cables now seem to be as rare as worms feet also undermines my faith in this camera. Has the camera been abandoned my its maker? Have I bough an obsolete model I ask myself? Should I trust that Canon won't pull the rug away on support generally. Where does this leave my view of Canon overall? Should I really be buying unsupported products, even if it is just an unavailable cable, from a manufacturer?

Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow