A day in the western Highlands

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gardyloo Regular Member • Posts: 146
A day in the western Highlands

With travel curtailed by bad knees and - oh, is there a plague? - I've been sorting and working on some photos taken in the (semi-recent) past. I thought I'd post a couple of threads covering two days (and a bit) that I spent in the western and northern Scottish Highlands a few years ago.

I was on a trip to visit some old (and getting older - oy) friends in Edinburgh, but had some spare days, so I got a car and headed off to some places I hadn't been in some years.

The first day (this thread) I went from Edinburgh up to Glen Etive and Glen Coe in the western Highlands, then briefly out the Road to the Isles past Glenfinnan to Mallaig, then back and up the Great Glen, past Loch Ness (which is not all that photogenic) to Inverness for the night. The next day (a companion thread) I headed north, through some very lonely and lovely country to the north coast, then back south to Inverness.

Here's the approximate route for the first day - https://goo.gl/maps/XDq7gdg7ZeCAGnAMA

Approaching Glen Etive across the Rannoch Moor

Another view across the moor

Buachaille Etive Mòr at the head of Glen Etive

Along the Glen Etive road

The River Etive along the valley floor

In Glen Coe

Jacobite Rising monument, Glenfinnan

Road to the Isles scenery - 1

Road to the Isles scenery - 2

Mallaig sands, with Isle of Skye in the distance

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow