Sony RX10 IV vs Olympus E-M5 III lens combo

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tugatomsk
OP tugatomsk New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Sony RX10 IV vs Olympus E-M5 III lens combo

The Lamentable Lens wrote:

tugatomsk wrote:

The Lamentable Lens wrote:

I believe the 7.5-stop IBIS rating is for the E-M1, with Sync IS compatible lenses. The E-M5, I believe, is rated at 5.5 stops (6.5 with Sync IS compatible lenses, but I don't believe the lenses you're looking at are Sync IS compatible). That's still a lot of stabilization, but not quite as big a difference from the Sony, which is rated at 4.5 stops.

I wasn't aware of that, what a shame... :/ The E-M1 is filled with cool features besides the amazing IBIS but it's also far more expensive.

How can I check which Olympus lenses work with Dual IS?

Looks like like you can filter for lens stabilization here. As of right now, it appears limited to three lenses, none of which sit at the more affordable end of m43 lenses:

1. 12-100 F/4 PRO ($1,300);

2. 100-400 f/5.0-6.3 ($1,500); and

3. 300 f/4 ($2,900).

Well... bugger. I can't afford any of those. I guess I could live without Dual IS, the stabilization stop numbers are still respectable, according to The Lamentable Lens, just not so great.

The remaining question is how much image quality would I lose with the 14-150 lens compared to the 12-100 PRO? I imagine quite a lot, but I'd like to know if it's still usable (like comparing to the likes of a Nikon DX 18-300mm).

It's a shame Olympus never designed the M4/3 counterpart to the Tamron 18-400mm or even the Tamron 16-300mm. I'd get it in a heartbeat.

tugatomsk's gear list:tugatomsk's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow