Z5 for 1080p video or Z6ii ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,532
Re: Z5 for 1080p video or Z6ii ?

mu7z wrote:

Excellent, that's what I will have to purchase for the recording setup.

Regarding the Z6ii, yes the SD card is important (basically outweighs the extra cost over the z6 in card costs) and the wifi and bluetooth features in addition to charging over usb-c are important for me.

The Z5 has all these features (including dual SD slots although note there is no simultaneous recording to both slots on any Nikon camera (and most other hybrid cameras) when recording video.)

Personally, I tend to keep my cameras for a very long time and rarely sell. That's the only hesitation, but the price difference is huge. I'm not sure if I upgrade in the next few years, the price drop of the Nikon z6ii will be substatial, heck there will probably be something else to upgrade to. In that case I do think the Z5 might be a decent compromise, the lack of BSI and severe 1.7 crop are quite frustrating (it the crop was 1.5 it would have been bearable).

For video, I find lens based VR to be more effective than in-body IBIS on my Z6.

I know that the Z5 also does not record in N-Log RAW video format or provide 10-bit recording over external HDMI recording. But does it allow any recording over external HDMI? Is it 8-bit 4:2:2 ?

I believe the Z5 allows external recording in the same specs as internally - 8 bit 4;2;0

I'll just mention the Z50 is also a capable stills/video camera. It has an SD slot and records 4K with the standard APS-C 1.5 crop. The 4K out of the Z50 is sharper than the 4K on my Z6! (It also does 1080p with the same crop.) And it's cheaper than the Z5.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow