Advice on using a lightbox

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Dbn Regular Member • Posts: 316
Advice on using a lightbox

Good Day

I sometimes photograph small antique objects for various reasons. Usually about the size of a milk jug but sometimes larger. I usually use thick white paper which I curve and prop up to create a base and background but I am thinking of buying a used softbox like the one in my photo (below).

I would like to know how one lights these. Would I fire an off camera speedlight through the fabric of the box, or bounce one off the ceiling or walls of the room, or straight at the object through the open side of the box? Some of the objects I photograph are shiny silver or crystal so a direct light would be problematic.

Also, why is there a velcro cover for the front of the box? How would one take a photo if the box was closed up?

I have a few speedlights and one umbrella to use if need be (a hangover from trying to learn about using artificial lighting), but the speedlights need line-of-sight to fire off camera. They are not radio triggered.

Michael

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow