Z5 for 1080p video or Z6ii ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mu7z Junior Member • Posts: 35
Z5 for 1080p video or Z6ii ?

Hi all,

I've done a lot of research between these two bodies. I really love the Z5 layout, especially the ergonomics of the buttons all being on the same side. Honestly, I have no use for the oled top view panel on the Z6 and would've preferred the Z5 layout instead. I know the Z6 will be discounted, but the Z6 has some features I can't live without, so my comparison will be with the Z6 ii, since it includes those required features.

I'm looking for an allround photography/video cam. I'll probably be shooting mainly photos, but need to record video for lectures and tutorials. For these purposes I am thinking 1080p might be good enough, and if not I could always upscale the 1080p footage.

Question 1: Is there an appreciable difference between the Z5 and Z6ii if I restrict myself to 1080p? I know the Z6ii is a far more capable video cam and can shoot 4k uncropped, while the Z5, is essentially "useless" at 4k with it's severe 1.7x crop. But at 1080p what are the differences (other than BSI sensor)?

Is the extra cost really worth it? I was hoping to get the Z5 because of the compact 24-50mm kit lens. I know it's not the highest quality lens, but it does seem like a very good quality "kit" lens. The reason for this decision, is it's compact size. I'm worried that the Z6 kit lens would be a bit too bulky for travel photography and casual outings. The cost difference is about 1k, but that includes the upgraded lens 24-70mm lens.  I suppose I could wait to get the "pancake" lenses that Nikon is going to release at some indefinite point in the future. I would also have loved compact primes.

Another worry, are there record limits on 1080p or 4k? The recording often stretch to 1 hour. Perhaps I will need a hdmi capture card and record directly through OBS.

Nikon Z5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow