a7Riv in MF autofocuses to infinity during playback

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eay New Member • Posts: 13
a7Riv in MF autofocuses to infinity during playback

I don't know if this is a quirk or some setting I can change, but it was a bit annoying.  I switched to MF mode, focused, took a shot, then switched to playback mode to review the image in detail.  I don't normally review  on the camera very long, but in this case it took me over a minute due to the details and a bit of a distraction.  I was quite surprised when I switched out of playback mode to see that my careful focusing was now gone.

After some experimenting  and switching to the SEL50F18 which has a noisy motor, I discovered that after 60 seconds in playback mode the camera drives focus to infinity.  My power save start time is set to 5 minutes.

I can live with it, but I can't think why I would want this behavior; it's certainly a nuisance in macro work and probably exacerbates the issue where AF flexible spot small can't focus on small near objects when lens is at infinity.  Does anyone know why it does this?

eay's gear list:eay's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow