New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
btango05 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

canonfan1 wrote:

Thank you for your advice.

btango05 wrote:

I'd go with the R6

Can I ask what is the reason you would go with the R6 over the RP?

with kit 24-105 F4L, and the 35 1.8 macro stm for starters. That kit lens is amazing! The 35 would be good the restaurant.

Agreed, this is a nice combination.

However, wouldn't there then be an overlap in the focal lengths?

Is there a reason you would choose the combination you suggested over 24-70mm f2.8 and 85mm f2? OR 35mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8?

R6 has IBIS (in body image stabilization) and DPAF (dual pixel auto focus) with the new animal eye detect. I have a feeling once you get comfortable with the canon ecosystem you're gonna want to get all the glass your flexible but prudent budget allows

I take back what I said about the kit lens, I thought you got a bit more of a discount when you ordered the R6/R5 with the kit, turns out it's $1100 either way. I'd go with the 24-70 2.8 then.

Personally, I'm a bit self conscience about taking food pics at a restaurant with anything bigger than a phone, so I suggested the 35 because it's the smallest RF lens, but it takes some really good low light pics. If you're not concerned about size then I guess get the 85.

btango05's gear list:btango05's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow