A6500 to A7rii - Is it still an upgrade in 2020?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Canada_Guy Junior Member • Posts: 28
A6500 to A7rii - Is it still an upgrade in 2020?

I know this has been asked a few different times, but given the cameras that are available from Sony in 2020 would upgrading from an a6500 to an A7r ii be a foolish move?

I'm looking at trading in my apsc stuff and getting the A7rii which is available at $500 off, discounted to $1,298.  It ends up being a wash with the trade in value of my gear for the body and a Tamron 17-28, basically $0 out of pocket.

I primarily shoot landscapes, but occasionally do photos of my son as well.  My main reason for wanting to upgrade is the lack of wide angle lenses available on APSC.  I have the Samyang 12mm right now but I haven't been all that impressed with the sharpness, and focus stacking tends to be a pain manually when conditions are changing relatively quickly.  Instead I usually end up stitching together 2-3 shots with the 16-55 2.8 to get a wider FOV which takes even more time.

That said, is the A7rii still a reasonable upgrade path in 2020 from the a6500?  I know battery life is an issue, but I have a bunch of the FW50 batteries so that issue doesnt concern me.  Anything else I should be aware of?

Sony a6500 Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow