Hard drive and data workflow recommendations

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CJunc Regular Member • Posts: 100
Hard drive and data workflow recommendations

I had a drive die in my machine and its a good time to do some data management housekeeping both in the data itself, but also re-evaluate my system and get a more rigid workflow.  The main question I have is how to best structure the redundancies on my main machine and the flow of data/projects efficiently.  This is not a backup question, I have a NAS and offsite cloud backups enabled.  This is just how to configure my data workflow and local machine archives.

I can have 5 drives on my machine, below is the current spec:

1. M.2: NVME boot/application drive
  2. 2.5": 1TB SSD for working files and recent projects
  3. 2.5": 500GB SSD - currently unused
  4. 3.5": 1TB HDD for archive of older projects
  5. 3.5": Empty (dead 1TB backup for #4 above)

So my thought is to convert slots 4/5 into high capacity RAID1 (8TB each or something) which gives me the overhead for my ever-expanding library, but Im concerned about read/write speeds as I dip into my library fairly frequently ... though the 1TB SSD does give me some significant headroom on legacy projects.  I also have the unused bay #3 with the 500GB drive in it.

Anyway, for those who have gone down this path, what are good solutions?  Is RAID fast enough to work from if I have to edit large video files from it?  I think Id prefer not moving GBs on and off the SSDs from the RAID for short term projects but maybe Im blowing this out of proportion.

CJunc's gear list:CJunc's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow