Collapsing Building

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,806
Re: Collapsing Building

Jestertheclown wrote:

D Cox wrote:

Autonerd wrote:

grisog wrote:

Everyone, THANK YOU! Now I understand why its happening and what I need to do different. Also, thanks for showing me how it can be fixed,

In addition to what was said above, I think a wider angle (which you would be using if standing closer) will exacerbate the problem, as a wider angle distorts more. If you can get further back and zoom in, you'll have less rounding.

For photographing buildings, they used to use view cameras or "shift" lenses that could move relative to the film plane. Perspective correction in post is cheaper and easier.

Aaron

Shift lenses are really just ultra-wide lenses (which the OP already has) with cropping in the camera. The film or plate still has to be kept exactly vertical to avoid converging verticals in the building.

Don Cox

Not all shift lenses are wide angles Both Nikon & Canon make FF models with focal lengths of 85-90mm see PC-E Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D   TS-E 90mm f/2.8

I suspect that he meant "tilt-shift;" wide angle and flexible. I don't know about cropping in camera.

Not cheap.

Most lenses tat allow shift, also allow tilt but certainly not all. Shift is the only bit that's needed for controlling perspective in camera.

There are adapters for mirrorless cameras that allow lenses of larger formats to be shifted to create relatively cheap shift lenses, but the tilt only variety is considerably cheaper & more useful.

Still cheaper to do it in post

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow