For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
pixelho Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

Like many others have noted, the Sony 90 is a terrific lens and is excellent for macro work as it was intended. I use it for that purpose along with other short tele needs. While “only” 2.8, most of my macro work with it is more in the f8-11 range for the desired DoF, wide open for subjects at more of a distance. I’ll suggest another option depending on your own DoF and other needs -  consider a lens like the excellent Sony f4 24 -105. You’d gain a ton of flexibility, which could be a big bonus in the tight confines of a kitchen setup, all while still having plenty of pixels and IQ to crop for a macro composition. For example, I often carry that lens on hikes to capture both quasi-macro for flowers etc and wider landscapes. Good luck in your quest.

pixelho's gear list:pixelho's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow