Z 20 1.8S for people photos.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
m_black
m_black Contributing Member • Posts: 920
Z 20 1.8S for people photos.

I posted this in a Z FB group but thought I would post here too in case anyone is wondering the same.

I’ve had a few iterations of wide angle lenses. From Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 11-16 in my DX days to Nikon’s 17-35, 16-35VR and 14-24G. The 17-35 was my favourite range. But I bought it used, wasn’t crazy about the IQ wide open and it had the infamous AF squeak. So I didn’t have it long. The 14-24 had the best IQ but I got lazy with it. Ended up selling it and bought the F mount 20 1.8G. I sold that about 18 months ago as I unloaded F lenses in anticipation of Z lenses. But the 20 was my favourite out of all of them.

I’ve made due without ultra wides for a while. Either renting or borrowing from NPS as the job necessitated. But, I’ve been itching for wide angle again as a want and a need. I really deliberated over the Z 20 1.8 or the 14-30 f/4. I shoot full time and do a bit of everything from weddings to industrial to commercial to editorial to some architecture. And long story short I decided that the flexibility of aperture was better for me than the flexibility of focal range. 24-70 is my work horse, but sometimes I need that little bit extra on the wide end. So I bought the 20 1.8S.

Most of the talk, and comparisons, here about the 20 vs 14-30 have centred around astro and landscape. It’s been frustrating doing research as its been made out to be that the lenses are only good for those genres. I often shoot portraits with wide angles and do landscape/cityscape with longer lenses.

So, this past weekend I had my last wedding of the year. And I knew I wouldn’t have to compete for space with videographers so I changed things up a bit and used two Z6’s with a 20 on one and a 50 1.8S on the other during groom and bridal prep. I’m glad I did. Both spaces were tight and the bride’s was dark.

Overall, the 20 is amazing. It pairs very well with the 50. Same feel and sharpness but obviously wider.
Here are a few outtakes with the 20.

m_black's gear list:m_black's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow