I just moved to m43, again!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tooks Regular Member • Posts: 175
I just moved to m43, again!

So, there I was happily going down the FF rabbit hole, and enjoying shooting the Sony A7R II, Tamron 28-200 and Sony 200-600.

Results were good, although the C-AF on the body left a bit to be desired, but I accepted that as the sensor was great for the landscape work I do.

Then, I started getting pains in my left arm, tennis elbow was the diagnosis and left me all of a sudden more sympathetic to those who suffer this condition that I’ll be honest I’d always dismissed a bit!

After even a few hours shooting with the A7RII and 200-600, the 2.8kgs of that combo took its toll, and I was even struggling to keep it steady handheld during shooting. I tried using a monopod and a tripod, but they just got in the way

I had a good thumb through the pictures on my photo hard drives, comparing wildlife pictures I’d taken with my old Olympus EM-1 Mk2 and 300mm f4/PL 100-400 versus what I’ve been getting with the Sony setup and I was really surprised at the quality of the output of the m43 camera.

I primarily do wildlife photography these days, aircraft and landscape a secondary interest, and most of my shots with the Sony were at 600mm.

Keen to solve my arm discomfort issue, I tried shooting with the A7R II and the 28-200 in crop mode, the pain didn’t occur, and I was steady when framing etc. Reach of course was a bit short, albeit the quality of the image was still excellent.

On a whim almost, I ordered a used Pana G9 and a PL 200 f2.8, with the 1.4x converter. it arrived whilst I still had the Sony gear so I was able to compare for a while, and the result is that the Sony gear is now sold.

The G9 and 200mm lens is around 1.8kg, so only 1kg lighter but that is enough for me to be pain free, and the results it’s capable of look very good to me, for my purposes. I was unsure about the the DFD C-AF but it seems to work very well, better than the A7R II anyway, for the way I prefer to use an AF system.

I’ve since picked up a PL 12-60 lens for general and landscape photography and also the 2.0x TC for the PL 200, which gives me good flexibility. Selling the Sony gear covered the cost of the all used m43 gear.

Anyway, I’ll see how this goes longer term, but posting just to say it’s not just a one way street. I’m really impressed by the G9 body, fits my hands well and I’ve realised how much I use a top display when a camera has one. The EVF is also the best I’ve used on any camera, and I’ve had a few!

Tooks's gear list:Tooks's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow