Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 398
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

dkyl wrote:

I was thinking of doing the opposite.

Bought the Sigma 56 but dunno, something didn't do it for me. Was thinking of selling it and trying out the Nocticron.

Yeah , I really wish I could narrow it down to what it is specifically. I like to know the root cause of stuff so I find not being able to put my finger on it very annoying. It's just that I've taken some shots with the Sigma, the bokeh and separation is there but I'm just 'underwhelmed'. I also have the 42.5 f1.7 and the 75mm f1.8 and I don't remember feeling that way about any of their images.

I'm wholly open to the idea that it might be me and not the lens because that's something I can fix and I have no delusions of grandeur. It doesn't happen for all pics so it might very well be how the picture was lit for example.

If I can find Sigma examples that I can actually post I'll put them here and get the forum's expert opinion.

One thing I have found with the Sigma though , head and shoulders @f1.4 is too much. If u're not careful you'll end up with something like the eyes in focus but the tip of the nose is blurred. So I'm learning to stop it down to 1.8-2 for those. Only shoot it wide for half and full body shots.

Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow