Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Re: Not the way of thinking of most portrait photos

Harold66 wrote:

Both lenses are very good quality but anyone serious about portrait work would not choose between those two lenses between a small size difference but would base their choice on the BIG difference in focal length

Unless one shoots mostly head and shoulders portrait there is no doubt that the FOV of the Nocticron is MUCH BETTER suited to portrait work

Harold

Not my experience with the focal length of 43mm you need a lot space for more than a headshot at 1 meter the frame width is only 41 cm so to get a person in full and some headroom you need 4.5 meters in my house I have only one room that is that long

so what I had to do to capture a full figure was to go outside as the lens is bulky this was a pain 
so this was mostly for headshots and you can get the same with the sigma in a house

outdoors there is no problem and the sigma has at least a splashproof mount

obviously if you have access to a studio or a house with 6 meters room this is different but in UK this is rare

The most used lens for all my portraits and functions is the 25mm for this reason

This was the same when I was shooting Nikon so it has been foolish for me not to consider that however with the sigma being so light it is easier to take it around

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow