New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

canonfan1 wrote:

I have recently decided to take the plunge and invest in some Canon EOS R gear. Currently, I don't have any, thus will be starting with a blank slate. I have done a lot of reading over the years and while a fan, have not previously owned any Canon gear. Apologies in advance if any of my questions reek of ignorance. I hope to learn as much as I can from the experts on this forum!

I am a serious hobby photographer but do not do this for a living. There are mainly four genres I am interesting in shooting: (1) people/portraits/family, (2) my dog, (3) food, (4) nature landscapes. I hope to take or at least eventually take professional-leve quality photographs in all 4 genres. If it matters, for context, I am also considering going down the social media path.

Originally, I was thinking of going with this combination: RP body, RF 85mm f/2. I believe this provides good value for money.

There is presently a deal for the RP + the 24-105 F4-7.1 for $999.

After reading and watching a whole bunch of reviews, I am toying with the idea of getting one or some of these: R6 body, RF 24-70mm F2.8, RF 70-200mm F2.8, RF 85mm 1.2.

Reasons for considering R6 body: Saw a few reviews mentioning poor AF on RP. Lack of IBIS and weather-sealing on RP though not sure how important these are.

The R is a few hundred more than the RP, and has 50% more resolution than the R6.  It's worthy of consideration, since you are not talking about shooting a lot of action or wildlife. It's what I shoot and I don't feel the need to upgrade, because most of the benefits speak primarily to those two genres, which I rarely shoot.  I'm more interested in upgrading my number 2 camera, a 6D to another R or an RP.  Heck, you can buy and R and an RP for the price of an R6.  The second camera is better to have than the third lens.  Changing lenses in the field is hazardous to the camera, because of dirt and risk of being dropped, and causes you to miss opportunities.

I have never had IBIS, so I don't miss it.  Most of my lenses are stabilized.  You need a fast enough shutter speed, when shooting people, that stabilization is not that helpful anyway.

The ultimate stabilization device is a large heavy tripod.  For landscapes, you really want one.

Reason for considering RF 85mm 1.2: creamier bokeh than f/2, biggest downside to me is longer focusing distance which might make food photograph more challenging in a restaurant setting?

Reason for considering RF 24-70mm: could pair well with a 85mm prime?

Reason for considering 70-200mm: could get this instead of a 85mm prime?

Given my needs and thought process, what body/lens combination(s) would you folks here recommend? If you have any insights on some of the thoughts I have above, that will be very helpful too. Thank you everyone!

One poster commented that the R system is expensive.  That's only true if you buy top of the line everything.  Canon has outstanding budget options, if that is an issue.

I like slow zooms and fast primes, zooms in the daytime and primes at night or inside.

Don't sell the RF 35 F1.8 and the RF 85 F2 short.  If I carry only one lens at night, it's always the RF 35 F1.8.   I have a great EF 85, but if I didn't, I would look at the F2.  Go handle that Canon cannon ball of an 85 F1.2 lens before you buy it.  I picked the EF 85 F1.4, because it is shaped like a camera lens.  The optics are outstanding.  The RF 85 F2 was not available at the time I bought it, but the RF 85 F1.2 was.

The big deal about the cheaper RF primes is the macro focus.  Its 0.5-1 magnification is perfect for florals and food.  You really only need 1-1 for bugs, and then you really need 2-1.  There is always something small and interesting to shoot, when you're out shooting bigger things.

The cheaper 24-105 also has the same macro function.

You are goin to want a wide zoom for landscapes and cityscapes.  Right now, the only one is the RF 15-35 F2.8, but the 14-35 F4 is coming.  I shoot a lot of architecture and landscapes with wide angles.  I shoot most of them on a tripod and mostly at F8 or F11.  The F2.8 would be totally wasted on me.  You need the fast wide lens, if you shoot astro or is you shoot very wide angle environmental portraits.

An interesting day time one lens option is the RF 24-240.  Kids and dogs move around a lot. You either have to plan the shots, limit the shots, or be ready for any shot.

You like a variety of phots.  You are going to need a variety of lenses.  You are also going to have to carry them around.  The less expensive lenses are much lighter.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow