Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,147
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Cyvan wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

I liked my Noctictron however the considerable size especially once the metal hood was factored it meant I used it very very little

After few weeks of parallel run I have now sold the leica lens as I have already too many lenses in my kit

Aww pity. I was going to ask you to do a comparison for me.

I was actually given a choice between the Sigma at full price and the Noct at a significant discount but still $300 more than the Sigma. So I went for it Sigma

I got it and I was amazed at the shots I got out of it but something felt kinda .. "off" . Then someone mentioned that they sold their's because yes, the background rendering was sublime etc, but the images from the Sigma just seemed 'flat' , 2 dimensional, supposedly because of the compression of the longer FL. I'm not convinced but I think that's what I might have been seeing myself.

I wanted to compare a headshot from both to see if there was any difference in the rendering. That would justify me saving up for the Noct or a 45 f1.2 eventually.

I have Nocticron headshots pretty much all I had with it but not yet with Sigma when I have some will post
The Nocticron is a slightly more complex image but the sigma is not flat. If you went on that line than all olympus lenses are ‘surgical’ too

At the end is not good to have a lens in the cupboard you need to take it with you and the smaller format means you take more shots this was my consideration

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow