The tail end of songbird migration, SW Ontario

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,279
The tail end of songbird migration, SW Ontario

Hi to all,

Finally the typical cool, wet and windy fall weather overtook the balmy days from a week or so ago. I am out on the trails in the woods and visit the local marshes almost every day. A couple of weeks ago we still had warblers, phoebes and kinglets around in relatively good numbers. Not a lot but it was still reasonably good for bird watchers and photographers.

Starting about three-four days ago it suddenly cooled down and most of the birds took off to warmer grounds. I put in some good mileage on the trails to see if any birds are still holding out. Well, not too many. Very small pockets of kinglets, a few thrushes and chickadees. Technically speaking songbird migration is largely finished in SW Ontario. A few more cold days and even the remaining few Golden-crowned Kinglets will be gone.

I enclose a few images here from the past few days. A lot of mileage was put into taking these shots.

Best to all, AIK

A Chickadee from yesterday.

This was the only Yellow-crowned Kinglet I could find yesterday. There were a few more around but deep in the shrubs, out of the way of cool winds.

This kinglet took off just as I was able to locate it in the shrubs.

Hermit Thrush taking off. Another of those shots when just as I found a vantage point without obstruction the bird suddenly took off.

From two days ago. I was quietly standing at the edge of a wetland, it was getting close to dusk. Out of the blue a flock of Dunlins landed in front of me and started a feeding frenzy in the mud. Then five minutes later they took off just as hastily as they arrived. I know, these are not small songbirds but I still include them here.

This was taken a couple of weeks or so ago. The cosmos flowers are still around but the hummer is gone by now.

A Tennessee Warbler from earlier in the fall.

Savannah Sparrow from a few weeks ago.

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow