Which camera to go with my Sigma 100-400?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP Brad Nishida Contributing Member • Posts: 825
Re: Which camera to go with my Sigma 100-400?

dgumshu wrote:

Brad Nishida wrote:

I have a Sigma 100-400 Ef mount. I have 2 choices for a camera to use it with. A Canon 7DII and a Sony A7III with MC11 adapter. Which would you use for wildlife photography and why?

Personally, I wouldn’t use either of those two bodies for wildlife. However, if you’re limited to only those two, I’d select the 7D2 for EF mount comparability without the adapter.
ive been through four 7D2’s and was never impressed with the hit rate for action shots. For Still Still’s, it worked oK.

The A7lll does not have enough resolution, as cropping is, more often than not, necessary in wildlife photography. A heavy crop will usually resort to an image of only few MB resulting in loss of detail. That would require enlargement software for large prints... if you print. Additionally, using the adapter has it’s limitations. Otherwise, I’m sure it’s a fine camera with Sony native lenses. If you had the choice of the A7lll with a Sony 100-400, I’d select that combo despite the lack of resolution.

Yeah, wildlife is not my normal subject but it works for now.  I need to figure out which is better, older focus but more reach or newer focus with with the adapter.  That lens and adapter were sold as a kit at B&H so a assume they work well together.  I wish I had known Sigma was going to come out with a native emount version.

Brad Nishida's gear list:Brad Nishida's gear list
Olympus E-100 RS Panasonic Lumix DMC-3D1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Sony a6000 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow