New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
canonfan1 New Member • Posts: 18
New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

I have recently decided to take the plunge and invest in some Canon EOS R gear. Currently, I don't have any, thus will be starting with a blank slate. I have done a lot of reading over the years and while a fan, have not previously owned any Canon gear. Apologies in advance if any of my questions reek of ignorance. I hope to learn as much as I can from the experts on this forum!

I am a serious hobby photographer but do not do this for a living. There are mainly four genres I am interesting in shooting: (1) people/portraits/family, (2) my dog, (3) food, (4) nature landscapes. I hope to take or at least eventually take professional-leve quality photographs in all 4 genres. If it matters, for context, I am also considering going down the social media path.

Originally, I was thinking of going with this combination: RP body, RF 85mm f/2. I believe this provides good value for money.

After reading and watching a whole bunch of reviews, I am toying with the idea of getting one or some of these: R6 body, RF 24-70mm F2.8, RF 70-200mm F2.8, RF 85mm 1.2.

Reasons for considering R6 body: Saw a few reviews mentioning poor AF on RP. Lack of IBIS and weather-sealing on RP though not sure how important these are.

Reason for considering RF 85mm 1.2: creamier bokeh than f/2, biggest downside to me is longer focusing distance which might make food photograph more challenging in a restaurant setting?

Reason for considering RF 24-70mm: could pair well with a 85mm prime?

Reason for considering 70-200mm: could get this instead of a 85mm prime?

Given my needs and thought process, what body/lens combination(s) would you folks here recommend? If you have any insights on some of the thoughts I have above, that will be very helpful too. Thank you everyone!

Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow