For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,775
Re: For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

fillet wrote:

Hi

I'm planning to film some cooking videos and I'm on the fence between the two. I know the price of the two are completely different but both seem to offer what I need for cooking videos, macro shots, and also the need to have the camera far away to film shots involving oil and steam.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

The things preventing me from instantly getting the Sony 90mm Macro is the date it was release which was 5 years ago and that it's max F2.8.

Thanks for any insights you all may share.

Despite I own 135 GM which is a fantastic lens, I agree the others that 135mm is too long for such purpose.  85mm is suitable and also ideal FL for indoor portrait.  You can get the new Sigma FE 85/1.4 Art DN or cheaper but still pretty good optical quality Samyang/Rokinon FE 85/1.4 AF (that I also own).   For the macro lens around 100mm, Sigma recently released FE 105/2.8 Macro Art (no OS however) that is actually even sharper than Sony 90/2.8 macro OSS in a few reviews I have seen.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow