For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP fillet Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Have you tested the angle of your filming setup? DOF on these narrow lenses at those f-stops? (Seriously, 85/1.4 is the first time I really thought about focus because even f/11 isn't totally in-focus front-to-back)

90mm feels very narrow, 135mm feels even narrower still in a cramped(?) kitchen.

Have you considered the new Samyang 75 or maybe the Sigma 85/1.4 if you don't specifically need macro, but do need light?

I haven't tested them yet, the most testing I can get is from my old micro 43 kit lens to approximate a zoom but it's still far off from 90mm and 135mm.

Sadly, where I live, we don't have places to rent lenses.

Yup, 135 will definitely be narrow in a kitchen, but it might provide me with unique shots.

Macro or close to Macro capabilities are quite important to me to get me certain shots of food.

Thanks

Zenza R wrote:

I feel like 135 is really really narrow and not really useful for macros. 90 mm 2.8 will be definitely handy and when it comes to macros, typically they are 2.8... you may compare recent sigma 105 2.8 and sony 90 mm, and decide if sony has been outdated. I have no idea but I doubt if it is so...

Yup, I'm leaning to the 90mm right now but it's out of stock where I am. If it stays out of stock for too long, I might get the 135. The sigma, after watching a lot of comparisons between the two, I'm still inclined to get the 90mm over the sigma. Thank you

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow