Close call with my Oly 40-150 PRO with cheap tubes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeeter001 Regular Member • Posts: 467
Close call with my Oly 40-150 PRO with cheap tubes

I had been using some cheap <$30 extension tubes I got off Amazon (one of those 10mm + 16mm sets).  The tubes did have the problem that they stuck on the mount sometimes, not something you want to be fighting to get off your camera.  Anyway, while photographing butterflies, in a moment of not thinking, I let my support hand off the Oly 40-150 PRO lens I was using, left holding by just the camera grip, and one of the two extension tubes tore right out of it's own frame (destroyed).  Luckily I caught the falling lens!

I like the extension tubes better than my Raynox diopter, wondering if I should replace on the cheap again and just be more careful, or if a more expensive product would even be any safer.  Is there a premium brand and would they be significantly better?  It's tough to justify expensive tubes since they have no optics but I guess not having it get stuck on your camera or breaking and causing your lens to fall may be good reasons.

Jeeter001's gear list:Jeeter001's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +50 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow