Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 1,322
Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

I liked my Noctictron however the considerable size especially once the metal hood was factored it meant I used it very very little

Nocticron 42.5mm

So I decided to buy the smaller and lighter Sigma 56mm 1.4 that retails at less than 1/3 of the price of the Leica.

The smaller size has meant I have managed to take the lens with me more times and to my surprise the most interesting shots were ambient not portrait. Perhaps as I have not really tried hard on portrait as I had other objectives and I lacked subjects.

I have been surprised by the sharpness and from what I can see lack of obvious optical defect I even have the impression this lens deals with longitudinal chromatic aberration better than the Nocticron on Olympus body. One thing that works very well is exposure bracketing at sunrise sunset as the lens is pretty fast

Deer Sunrise HDR

Railway to heaven HDR

Woburn Abbey HDR

To the other side

Crossing

Some of the shots have grain and other stuff applied as they were for a club competition on a theme and they are all 2 megapixels as I don't post full rez on the web

Considering the price but more importantly the quality and portability of this lens I would recommend it to anyone wanting a longer portrait and landscape lens. The lens manages backlit and flares very well too

After few weeks of parallel run I have now sold the leica lens as I have already too many lenses in my kit

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow