Q2 for lowlight portraits?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Keithpictures
Keithpictures Contributing Member • Posts: 818
Q2 for lowlight portraits?

Hi all,

I’m currently shooting some lowlight portraits as a bourgeoning interest alongside my street and travel photography. I love my X100V, but I feel its limits lately. It’s noisier than I’d like at higher ISOs, and without IBIS or OIS, 1/60s is even risky for me. Even when I shoot in RAW, the details get a bit mushy as the light disappears.

And of course, I'd enjoy more separation between background and subject (often to blur the subject). The X100V isn't terrible at its f2 (~f2.8), but it's not as dramatic as I’d like. I guess it's the typical full-frame envy.

The Q2 is a dream of mine. Another fixed lens camera might not be the wisest choice, especially for portraits, but I feel so drawn to the Q2 and wonder if it would work for me. No other system sparks my imagination as much (the M10-R does a bit, but it's unrealistic for me). I also like that it can do video, and in-camera cropping.

I would prefer 24mm instead of 28, and even more MP for crop modes, in a hypothetical Q3. But barring that, I keep circling the idea of this camera, as it seems to address my style and needs.

I just have some questions:

1) With the OIS (or is it IBIS?), how long of a handheld exposure can you achieve without camera shake/blur?

2) How effective is stabilization shooting video? Does a handheld shot suffer from any jitters?

3) Does the digital crop mode affect any of the above? I'm very envious that the Q2 has a button to cycle through these angles of view, and that it shoots in RAW. This is a major UX failing of the X100.

4) Is there something I'm missing that could dampen my yearning for this camera? (Aside from obvious size/weight/cost incurrences?)

Thanks for your input in advance. Here are examples of what I’m shooting; maybe I'm crazy to find fault in the Fuji, but I can't help but feel that the Q2 would improve the detail and the rendering:

Keith

Keithpictures's gear list:Keithpictures's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 GoPro Hero8 Black Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Fujifilm X100V Leica Q2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow