***Challenge 308: Art for Art's Sake***

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,458
***Challenge 308: Art for Art's Sake***

Thanks again to Iain for selecting my black and white entry as the winner of his challenge. I thought it would be tough for me to come up with a theme, but, instead, it has been hard for me to choose from several possibilites. I decided to go with one of my favorite sorts of themes in my own photography: going beyond literal reality. Years ago I proposed a new forum with this title. It was sadly rejected. For this challenge, almost anything goes. From Impressionism to Hyperrealism to Surrealism and beyond.

I don't think one always needs software to veer away from an accurate deptiction of reality. Close focusing and shallow depth of field will do.

And another, this time with a clearer subject.

But, software can help, too. This is the exact image above sent through Topaz Studio 2.

This is from another simple in camera technique, defocus:

Entries do not have to have much if any blur. In this next image, I added a great deal of sharpening through both Topaz Detail and Elements to emphasize the texture. I pushed the color, too. It is a photo of a real thing, part of a wall, so I classify this as hyperrealistic.

Here is an example of a technique I have played with occasionally throughout my digital adventure, intentional camera movement. Considerable processing added:

A reflection in water. Color modified though the original would have qualified, too.

Don't feel constrained if you are spending much of your time at home. You can turn a household object into an abstract:

I hope these examples give you a sense of the range of images allowed. The only sort of image that I won't allow? No black and white photographs, please.

The Rules:

1. You may post up to three photos. Please enter each individually.
  2. Create a unique title for each image. Don't automatically re-use the title of the challenge.
  3. Photos must of have been taken with a Nikon camera.
  4. Don't be shy. You can enter an image an image from your library. You can enter an image taken during the challenge. And, you can take an image from your library and reprocess it during the time of the challenge.
  5. The challenge will end on Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at midnight Central Standard Time.

Good luck!

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow