Atlanta Photographer Speaks Out on Image Used in Controversial UK Ad (article)

Started Oct 25, 2020 | Discussions thread
Sean Locke Photography Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Atlanta Photographer Speaks Out on Image Used in Controversial UK Ad (article)

rumple wrote:

Sean Locke Photography wrote:

rumple wrote:

You're prospect's reaction was mine: free images! Saving not just money for whatever purpose I need them, but the hassle of obtaining and tracking a license.

Except a download from unsplash actually is a license.

That I need not spend time or money on "obtaining", and that I need not track, because the usage is not limited in time or space. I just can't resell the image.

I don't know if you've licensed any content recently, but aside from "yes, reputable places cost money", generally, all current licensing is "royalty free" which is not limited in time and space, with some restrictions, including reselling. Even unsplash has some restrictions. Very weak, of course.

-- hide signature --

Note that the Unsplash License does not include the right to use:

• Trademarks, logos, or brands that appear in Photos
  • People’s images if they are recognizable in the Photos
  • Works of art or authorship that appear in Photos

If you download photos with any of these depicted in them, you may need the permission of the brand owner of the brand or work of authorship or individual depending on how you use the Photo.

---

See? The onus is on the user to obtain permission as needed. You don't, and you're on the hook.

Of course, they also pass the buck back to the "contributor" as well.

-----

Your User Content (including as used by you, us, or other users of the Service) does not and will not infringe or misappropriate any third party right, including copyright and other intellectual property rights, privacy rights, rights of publicity, or moral rights, or slander, defame, or libel anyone. In other words, your User Content must be your original work and you must have the permission of any third parties that have rights in the User Content before you upload or post the User Content to the Service.

------

I mean, if you put up a billboard with "I have VD" a la Joey on friends, you can bet they're coming after you.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow