GH5 V-Log

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219
GH5 V-Log

Totally new with V-Log. Just bought a GH5 that comes with V-Log. Started looking into what this $100 option would do.

Right off the back, the V-Log seems to improve the dynamic range (DR) from10 to 12 f/stop. It seems to help when you have very high contrast scene that you need to bring out the detail in the very white/bright and the very black/shadow. But the unadjusted footage is flat/dull/gray which needs to be "graded".

Here's my questions:

For other scenes (not as extreme contrast), do you keep it in V-Log, or do you switch it back to your normal profile (like natural)? I guess if I would save a lot of effort and time if I don't have to grade every single clip.

And, can someone tell me what does "grading V-Log" involved? Please tell me as much as you can, because I am a total novice when it comes to this.

Thanks.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow