Super-telephotos for the R5

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,275
Re: Super-telephotos for the R5

Bogibbes wrote:

Well to be honest, I'm not comparing any superteles to the Fuji prime that I had, I'm mostly comparing the RF 100-500 to the Fuji. In terms of light gathering the Fuji was f2.8. I don't really care for the DOF equivalency, it is what it is on the system that you're using.

Absolutely correct, it is what it is. Equivalence is only useful when you want to compare different systems with different sensor sizes...

You can't legitimately say that you "don't really care for DoF equivalence" - the two values work as a pair and if you try to cherry pick the one which happens to suit your argument at the time you will simply deceive yourself. (Which is no skin off my nose.)

In terms of light gathering, the RF 100-500 is SLOW compared to what I was used to. At 400-500mm where I usually use the 100-500, is where I would really appreciate the faster superteles.

I expect the 500 f4 to be a night and day difference compared to the 100-500 mm at 500mm f7.1

Indeed it will. You are now comparing like with like and the difference is 1 2/3 stops, a huge difference by any measure. But will it get you back to where you were with the Fuji, or maybe even better than that? I provided actual numbers which you can use, or ignore if you don't care for them, in my previous post.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow