Leica and RAW Support

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RSColo Senior Member • Posts: 1,550
Leica and RAW Support

I think Leica needs to step up and contribute to RAW support. I believe that Leica is the only major camera company that doesn't any longer provide RAW software with their cameras. They used to provide Lightroom but stopped when Adobe moved to subscription. They did briefly offer a temporary license. I understand that this put Leica in a difficult position and I am not recommending that they necessarily strike a deal with another RAW software company.

The problem I see is that Capture One, DxO and other SW companies don't have access to new Leica cameras to develop their support when new cameras come out. At the very least Leica should make a new camera available to RAW SW companies as soon as the initial firmware is finalized. These companies should be allowed to keep the camera to make adjustments as the firmware is updated throughout the camera's life. Given the fact that Leica does not provide RAW SW with new cameras the company might consider some form of subsidy to the RAW SW providers to ensure there is early and continuing support.

-- hide signature --

Reid Shay
www.sawatchpub.com
Colorado, USA

RSColo's gear list:RSColo's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow