D7500 iso noise

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
cyuill2007 Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: D7500 iso noise

potterjo wrote:

My d5100 is dying and looking to upgrade. I take mainly wildflower photos. Many of these are in low light situations and need to bump the iso. The drawback is that anything above 250 the noise is unacceptable to me. Will I have the same problem with the D7500 or do I need a full frame sensor?

I haven't used the D7500 in low light, but have used it at high ISOs during a bird-photography-oriented "photo walk". I thought the images looked smoother and less "grainy" than similar photos I was taking at similar ISOs with my somewhat-older D7000. The D7500 is a sweet camera that produces great image quality.

One thing to consider, however, is that while the sensor gets all of the credit for ISO performance, the processor is also very important important. Olympus kept using a 12 MP Panasonic sensor for years because newer processors were able to get better and better image quality out of the same sensor. And there is another option to getting newer cameras with better sensors and processors  - recent improvements in post-processing software. Tools like Topaz Denoise Ai and DxO Photo Lab 4 (with new DeepPRIME NR) work wonders on noise. I have been amazed at how software tools like these can clean up image noise and improve detail on my older photographs taken with older, noisier sensors. A D7500, with images processed using good NR software as needed, should produce great photographs for several years.

You might perhaps also want to consider the Z 50 as a possible alternative, if you are okay with mirrorless cameras.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow