Canon 100-300 f5.6L Lens Vs Canon 70-300 MkII

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scott Pickering Regular Member • Posts: 393
Canon 100-300 f5.6L Lens Vs Canon 70-300 MkII

I have owned the old 5.6L lens before and it worked for my uses. I don't need speed on autofocus, as I usually dont shoot birds or wildlife with such a lens. Optically this lens performed well, but its been quite some years since I've owned the lens.

I currently use a 90D camera, but I have intentions on going mirrorless fullframe at some point, and plan on using the EF lenses on the camera with adapter. I still use my film EOS cameras, so sticking with EF is a must.

My question is- has the new version 2 of the 70-300 USM IS lens optically outperform the old 5.6L lens? Or does the old L lens still hold its own today on modern cameras? I like the size of the old L, as its quite compact. I can't afford the new 70-300L lens either at this time.

I can get the old 5.6L lens for only $200 Canadian at the moment, so Im trying to see if the new Canon lens is optically better or the same? I know the new lens has better coatings, but the sharpness of the old L seems to hold its own.

Opinions?

Scott Pickering's gear list:Scott Pickering's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow