Upgrading Lighting - Product Photography - Guitars and Gear

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NW_Luke New Member • Posts: 3
Upgrading Lighting - Product Photography - Guitars and Gear

I own and run an online music store that specializes in vintage/used guitars and music gear (fairly large products). I've been shooting all my product shots with a Canon 5D MKIII with 24-105mm L using 4 cheap fluorescent softboxes and a makeshift backdrop and it's time I step up the quality of my product shots.

Every product I sell is one of a kind so getting good shots with minimal processing is the goal. Another consideration is that I would prefer to hand hold my shots if possible to quickly get different angles and closeups on the guitars. With my current lighting setup I have to run very high Iso to do this. Guitars tend to have a lot of rounded corners with shiny finishes and metal parts so reflections are always a challenge.

With these things in mind what type of lighting setup would you recommend for me? LED continuous, strobe, or ...? Any input on softbox vs umbrella or some combination? I've been eying this Elincrhom kit but I'm not really sure if I'm on the right track or not or if two units are enough for my purpose?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247567-REG/elinchrom_el20839_2_d_lite_rx_4_4_softbox.html

Any input or suggestions you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow