Telephoto for Landscapes A7rIV

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 885
Re: Telephoto for Landscapes A7rIV

So I rented a 100-400 and an A7R IV for Manhattanhenge and I would definitely raise the caution flag about the size and weight. Great lens, can't hold it steady with my weak little arms.

For what you're describing, I think the weaknesses of the Sigma make it the best option here. It's light(er), has reasonable if not perfect AF and you're mostly doing mountains, and is best focused at infinity using 400mm according to every review and forum post I've read.  So, once again, mountains.

At this point, I'm personally waiting on the new Sigma 70-200 to see which of the Tamron, the Sigma 70-200 and Sigma 100-400 I'm getting.

Because I shoot mountains, not moving objects.

/The weird option is that I've seen a bunch of people buying 135GM's.  More for moving objects (135mm at f/1.8 vs. 400mm at f/6.3 ISO's on zoom optics ends up being fairly similar resolution) than mountains with a tripod, but figured I'd throw it out there.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow