1D mk iii dark viewfinder

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MagpieRH New Member • Posts: 10
1D mk iii dark viewfinder

Hello all,

Hoping you can help me

ive just picked up a 1D mk iii ( the old one, not the X), because I've been looking at one for a while and this one was cheap because it had error 99 (but vgc and ~11000 actuations)

Anyways, error 99 is not my issue (I don't think, I can get it to shoot by turning on the portrait shutter), but the viewfinder is very dark - I can see the colours of whatever I'm pointing the camera at only in the edges of the focus area, and the rest is unfocussed and dim. If I do take a shot, it comes out very overexposed, and seems to want a minimum of 2-3 seconds normally. Setting compensation to -2 gives a better, but still overexposed image. Changing ISO makes no difference to the brightness, and shutter speeds are still far longer than I'd expect, and there's no usable image present on the viewfinder at any point.

I've checked the focus screen, seems clean and undamaged, only fits one way so it can't be that it's positioned wrongly.

mirror looks clean and undamaged, mechanism works fine

viewfinder dark with no lens attached, with L glass attached and with Yongnuo 50/1.8 attached.

firmware updated to 1.3.2

Any ideas where else to look? I'm assuming the dark viewfinder and metering are linked, but as I say the mirro doesn't look dirty or damaged, and I understand they're fragile so don't want to clean it unless that's definitely a likely culprit. I have IPA, pre-soaked wipes, etc if necessary.

thanks in advance for any advice, much appreciated.

MagpieRH's gear list:MagpieRH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow