Lens quality and country of manufacture

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DCdenizen New Member • Posts: 2
Lens quality and country of manufacture

Most lens reviews appropriately emphasize image quality, but often include remarks about lens quality and durability.  I've seen repeated remarks in YouTube reviews and elsewhere that lenses manufactured in Thailand are inferior to those manufactured in Japan or Germany.  Also, some people say that lenses with plastic barrels are "cheap plastic" and are inferior to lenses with metal barrels.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which may be based on personal experience or adopted from the opinions of others.  However, I would like to know if there have been any neutral third-party analyses of lens quality that compare the actual build quality and durability of lenses over time to test the claims about plastic barrels and Thai manufacturing.  I'm willing to listen to opinions, but I'm really interested in seeing some actual data.  Does a rigorous, neutral analysis exist?

-- hide signature --

drwhitney

DCdenizen's gear list:DCdenizen's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow