New EOS M6 Shooter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TDR1 Contributing Member • Posts: 550
New EOS M6 Shooter

Hi all

I've been away from photography for a number of years but I've decided to start getting back into it. I've been shooting Canon for over 10 years, with my first DSLR being a 450D back in 2008 then buying a 7D in 2011. I've been using those ever since but keeping costs down by minimising lenses and buying Yongnuo flashes.

For a couple of years I've hardly picked up a camera and I've realised that I just got sick of holding the weight of a big DSLR and getting something a bit more pocketable may be the encouragement I need to start again.

So I've bitten the bullet and using mpb.com in the UK, I'm trading in the following:

Canon EOS 7D
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

And to replace it I'm getting:

Canon EOS M6 (orig, not mark II)
Canon EF-EOS M Mount Adapter
Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM

Old kit is various levels of condition but replacement kit is used but as new. It works out that I owe them just £3 on top.

The replacement kit is coming tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to that.

In the mean time I've decided I also want the 50mm f/1.8 STM so I've just ordered that to be delivered Wednesday.

In addition to the above I've also got a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 (non IS) and the old Canon 450d body that's still going strong.

I decided to go for the M6 as it ticked the right boxes:

• Canon
  • Price - don't want to shell out much to get what I need
  • Hot shoe for my existing flashes and remotes
  • Easy to use for the family
  • Fit the 70-200mm lens
  • Better image quality than the 7D (based on DPR studio scene comparison)
  • Better AF than the 7D (same as 80D)
  • Much smaller
  • Wifi/bluetooth
  • Continuous focus in video mode

The main potential issue is the lack of a view finder but I really don't want to splash out £250 for the optional addon and I think I can cope without it.

I'm interested in views on if you think I made the right choice and any tips/tricks to get started with the M6 and mirrorless cameras.

Thanks

Adrian

-- hide signature --
 TDR1's gear list:TDR1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Z100fd Canon SX220 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +2 more
Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2) Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow