Photoshop's Sky Replacement.... It bothers me but... Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Jim Radcliffe
OP Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,024
Re: Photoshop's Sky Replacement.... It bothers me but...

drynn wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

my feeling is exactly the same, and it is going to get worse as time goes by! pretty soon we won't know what is real and what is not at a few clicks of the mouse!

I know what you mean, and yet...

...if it doesn't look fake, and I like the picture anyway, I am not even going to be thinking about sky replacement. How sad would it be if in the future we looked at every picture (with sky) and spent time considering whether or not it had been manipulated.

My guess is we are already there. I have a friend whos posts many photos in a Facebook group and two days ago I noticed he had posted a shot with exactly the same sky background as I had used in my example in this thread. He did not mention that it was not the scene he had viewed and there were many compliments on the photo which did look incredible but the replacement sky is what really made it pop and drew comments.

I will never tell someone they should not use the sky replacement tool.. that is not my place but I hesitate to use it for a number of reasons

1. It's not what I saw.
  2. It goes far above basic tweaks such as curves, sharpening, color adjustment.
  3. It just does not feel right to me

Everyone's mileage may differ. It's just a tool you can use or not use.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
www.boxedlight.com

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow