It would be nice if

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 2,881
Re: It would be nice if

Lensmate wrote:

tony field wrote:

JahnG wrote:

if challenge voters easily could give a short anonymous comment at the same time as they vote.

that's humorous. Why does everyone want to be anonymous, unidentified and non-existent. Are they that embarrassed with who they are and don't want to be identified by the childish nature of their commentary?

In the old days of the monthly print Club commentary was direct verbal and you knew exactly who said what about your images. Strong negative and positive comments we're par for the course and we all went out for a beer after the meeting and had fun with no animosity. Sometimes the verbal commentary continued over the beer if there was an exceptionally good image or if a normally good photographer supplemented an unexpectedly poor image

We are of a different generation, and very markedly.

Hi Lensmate.

Regardless of "generation" there are a couple of issues.

It seems that few if any voters  give negative feedback, (or any feedback at all)  to low voted photographs. Not because the comments would be embarrassing, but because some entrants can't stand negative feedback and heatedly object to those who have dared to give some negative feedback. (I recall hearing about such behavior)

Non anonymous comments have "always" been possible, but are in reality only used on the winning picture in a challenge. Seldom, if ever have I seen any comments upon low voted photographs .There is the risk that anonymous comments would only say "this is crap", but even a few words WHY it is considered to be crap would in my view be much more valuable than sole 0.5 stars, which is the current way of telling a picture is no good!

Jahn

If you have the time, do watch this video in the link below:

https://vimeo.com/408937522

seems this is where we are headed to unfortunately!!

-Martin P

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow