A quick and technical question about autofocus.

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,525
Re: A quick and technical question about autofocus.

To answer that in a non-technical way... yes that is relatively accurate. The back and front focus, as you know it, are gone if you no longer use a DSLR. Front/back focusing came from the need to "Sync" two different parts of the system perfectly, the AF sensor and the image sensor.

To keep from going into the weeds on it, if the AF sensor thought it was in perfect focus, but the image to the image sensor was off by just the smallest of small margins, you'd get back/front focus. Now, everything is done from the image sensor so there's no middle man to make a mistake. What the sensor "sees" is what you get. This means there is no room for the conventional front/back focusing of the past. Problem solved.

HOWEVER, it is still possible for systems to fail and not work correctly, so I pull up short in saying, you will not see this problem anymore. Just saying the iteration that we all know and hate, is gone.

As far as low light, I'm not sure I follow you. Front/back focus should be the same in low light as it is in good light, though it may miss more in low light due to the "bad info" going in.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow