Burrowing owls from Itajobi, BR (1)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rodrigo Pasiani Forum Member • Posts: 96
Burrowing owls from Itajobi, BR (1)

Because of the COVID pandemic I left São Paulo, Brazil, and moved temporarily to Itajobi, a small town 480 km (300 miles) from the state capital, in late March. I grew up here, so I'm used to the hot, dry climate, even in winter.

I started cycling on dirt roads every afternoon after the home office. Eventually I took the camera with me and tried landscape photography, but the topography of the region isn't very exciting - I confess I was struggling.

One day I happened to discover a couple of burrowing owls a little more brave than most of their kind. I decided to photograph those beautiful animals and in a way I succeeded, so I went on. Since the end of July I visit them two or three days a week and spend between 30 and 60 minutes around, photographing.

While most burrowing owls along that dirt road tolerate something from 8 to 15 meters (26 to 49 feet) of approach, those would tolerate much less, especially the male. On a few occasions I managed, walking carefully, to reach 3 or even 2 meters of him (9 - 6 feet). That allowed me to take some intereting images.

These are wild animals living in a rural environment. They are used to cars and tractors around, but they are not domestic. No bait was used to get close, just patience. Today I present my first images, I hope you fellows enjoy.

Male burrowing owl and the crescent Moon

Couple (male on the fence, female on the ground)

The male guarding the entrance, or maybe not

I wish you all a good week.

-- hide signature --

Gear list: eyes, brain, hands and a couple of cameras.
Instagram: @rodrigo_pasiani
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rodrigo_pc/albums/72157697391983321

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow