Animal eye AF

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KiloHotelphoto Regular Member • Posts: 403
Animal eye AF

Picked up the R5 yesterday and took it out for a little today in between rain showers.

Was hoping to try on birds but all I could find were chipmunks running around. I was impressed with how the eye AF worked in difficult situation with the chipmunks moving fast between bushes. It's not perfect, it lost track sometimes and other times couldn't find it at all but again the chipmunks are small and fast moving in and out of bushes and not filling the frame that much even with the 600mm.

First impression is that it tracks better than I could do with the 1DX2 and it should be able to do much better on larger animals that fill the frame more. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll be able to try it out with some bald eagles the next few days, if it can track them when they are fishing I will be very happy.

It will take some time getting used to the EVF and the smaller size of the R5 even with the battery grip.

Full frame shot R5 600 F4 IS II

Crop image R5 600 F4 IS II

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +2 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow